The 2012 Great California ShakeOut earthquake drill is this Thursday, Oct. 18, at 10:18 a.m. The emergency drill is held on the third Thursday of October every year, helping schools, businesses and organizations practice earthquake safety and get prepared for the year.
The annual event is an opportunity for:
- Creating or updating emergency plans
- Creating or updating disaster supplies kits
- Participating in first aid classes or community response team trainings
- Securing furniture, heavy objects, wall hangings, etc. to prevent damage and injury
- Retrofitting your building(s)
- Evacuating buildings (after Drop, Cover, and Hold On)
- Activating of Emergency Operations Center(s)
- Testing communications plans
- Simulating emergency response procedures
- Conducting a tabletop exercise for decision-makers
There are 417 K-12 schools and districts registered for the 2012 ShakeOut in Los Angeles County, with a total of 1,984,975 participants, including the Monrovia Unified School District. Citrus College is also conducting a campus-wide drill in conjunction with the Shakeout.
There is still time to register for the event by logging onto the ShakeOut website and registering your family, neighborhood, organization or department.