Become a published author by sharing the tale of a person, place or funny event related to Arcadia that made an indelible mark on your heart.
The city is getting ready to celebrate its 110th birthday by publishing "Visions of Arcadia, More Visions." The first edition of "Visions of Arcadia," published in 2003 as part of the city's Centennial Celebration, featured over 130 essays of Arcadia memories.
The second edition will be a follow-up to the first edition.
If you are interested in participating in this project, please write a synopsis of no longer than 200 words describing your essay. The synopsis should explain what you want to write about in your full essay and why. The deadline for the synopsis has been extended to Friday, March 15.
City Councilman Gary Kovacic, who is spearheading the project, said no one should be intimidated into not submitting a synopsis, and that he is willing to work anyone through the writing and editing process.
"Just submit your synopsis," Kovacic urged.
To submit your synopsis:
Mail to: More Visions of Arcadia
c/o City of Arcadia
P.O. Box 60021
Arcadia, CA 91066
E-mail to: email@example.com
Fax: (626) 446-5729
Authors of selected essays will be notified of their inclusion in the book as soon as possible.
Chosen Authors will be required to:
- Complete an essay of between 500 and 1,500 words on the approved topic, by April 1.
- Sign a release authorizing the City of Arcadia to edit the essay, publish the essay, and to use the essay, author's name and any submitted photos in the book and in publicity materials, at no charge.
- Provide a biography of up to 200 words for use in the book and possibly in promotional materials.
- Submit for publication any original photos that would be a good accompaniment to your essay.
- March 5—Synopsis due
- April 1—final essays and photographs due
- The publication date is August 2013.
And now...start writing!