The following is a press release from the Arcadia Fire Department:
On Tuesday, October 29, 2013, at 6:53 p.m., Arcadia Fire Department was dispatched to a structure fire with flame showing through the windows in the 1800 block of South Eighth Avenue. Engine 105, Engine 107, Truck 105, Rescue Ambulance 105, and Battalion 105 responded to the scene, with assistance from Monrovia and Los Angeles County Fire Departments.
Suppression personnel reported a single-story single family dwelling with smoke and flames issuing from the windows and extremely heavy smoke inside the main structure and attic. Firefighters immediately began suppression measures, including primary search and rescue operations. Suppression personnel located the fire in a back room and quickly extinguished the flames. Due to swift and effective suppression efforts, firefighters contained the fire to the room of origin.
Although the fire remains under investigation at this time, preliminary findings indicate the fire to be accidental in nature caused by a candle on a bookshelf. The fire loss is estimated to be $75,000; with $25,000 damage to the structure and $50,000 in content loss.
The homeowners were not at home at the time of the incident. No firefighters or civilians were injured during this incident.