The owner of Basil Thai Cooking suffered minor facial burns while attempting to extinguish a stove fire Friday. Arcadia Fire Department Battalion Chief Kevin Valentine said the man declined transport to a hospital.
The fire broke out at 11:31 a.m.
By the time units from the Arcadia and Monrovia fire departments arrived, the fire had spread from the hood and duct system above the stove to the roof of the multi-story building.
Firefighters quickly extinguished the flames and cleared the scene.
Valentine said grease built up in the duct system likely contributed to the fire's rapid spread. The restaurant will remained closed until the duct system is cleaned, he said.