Santa Anita Park opening day and post-Christmas shoppers at Westfield Santa Anita Mall will mean heavy traffic along Baldwin Avenue on Wednesday.
Access the mall from Baldwin Avenue and Huntington Drive. Shoppers may see gate closures inside Gate 8 (north of JC Penney). Traffic will be lightest before the track opens and after it closes.
The majority of Race Track patrons leave between the hours of 3 p.m. and 7 p.m., so the following closures and restrictions will remain in place during that period.
- There will be no parking on Baldwin Avenue between Hugo Reid and Huntington Drive from 3 p.m.- 7 p.m.
- There will be no left turns from eastbound Huntington to northbound Baldwin Avenue. Left turn lanes will remain closed from 3 p.m.-7 p.m.)
- There will be no right turns from westbound Huntington Drive to northbound Baldwin Avenue. The right lane will remain closed from 3 p.m.–7 p.m.)
- All southbound lanes of Colorado Place will remain closed at the intersection with Colorado Boulevard from 4 p.m. – 7 p.m.). All traffic will be detoured onto eastbound Colorado Boulevard towards Santa Anita Avenue.
Use the following alternate routes and avoid the traffic madness altogether.
Alternate North/South Routes
- Michillinda Avenue
- Santa Anita Avenue
Alternate East/West Routes
- Foothill Boulevard
- Duarte Road
Track gates open at 10 a.m. and the first post is at noon. Racing fans can access Gate 8 off Baldwin Avenue. However, other gates may be less congested. Suggested routes for easier access include:
- From the west or northbound on Baldwin Avenue, use Huntington Drive to Gate 3 at Holly Avenue.
- From the south, use Santa Anita Avenue to Campus Drive for Gate 3 access, or to Huntington Drive for access to Gates 5 and 6.
- From the east, use Huntington Drive or Colorado Boulevard/Place to access Gates 5 and 6.
Police officers will be staffing traffic signals and certain intersections throughout the day. Traffic will be heavy and you should expect delays. Allow extra time for your travel and please be patient.